Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Sweet Wow

Sweet Wow

The Pacific Marine Mammal Center in Laguna Beach, California

 July 13, 2015
When a tender, one-of-a-kind moment occurs in my life I tuck it away in my memory vault under the heading “Sweet Wow.” The Saturday before last, in my former home town of Laguna Beach, California, I had a sweet wow.
The Pacific Marine Mammal Center in Laguna rescues injured seals and sea lions, rehabilitates them in the medical center, and then releases them back into the ocean. Since my son Jeff has been on the board for the Center he knew a release was scheduled for Saturday morning at 8:30. I was ecstatic about going. As we raced down the steep steps to the beach, I saw four crates on the sand, each housing an “I’m going home!” seal. I teared up at the very thought.
It was interesting to me that as the door of each crates was opened, each seal had a different reaction to being released. The first hesitated, saw the expanse of sand, the waiting water of the Pacific Ocean, and then suddenly took off at an awkward gallop. The second seal exited the crate but then stayed for several minutes within inches of it before deciding to venture forth and also dive into the waves. The third seal didn’t move at all when the crate opened. We all leaned in to get a better look and wondered if maybe the seal wasn’t well enough to leave. But she must have heard ‘the call.’ She quickly lumbered over the sand and dived exuberantly over the waves.
The fourth seal apparently had no desire to return to the ocean. She made no effort to be released. Instead, she lay sprawled in the sand in her crate, stared out . . . but didn’t move. I asked the volunteer who was crouching down by the crate why the seal wasn’t moving. The volunteer said, “She was the most severely injured when we rescued her. I think she must have a good memory.”
Of course my heart became even more engaged as I sat on the sand next to the seal crate. I even prayed for this beautiful creature as these gorgeous, huge, seal eyes surveyed the scene in front of her. Then, with no preparatory movement, she simply dashed awkwardly from her safe place and headed for the familiar place of challenges and former dangers.
I was so moved by this experience I could hardly pull myself together. I felt empathy for this last little seal that may indeed have a good memory and understandably did not want to leave the safety of the center. Who could blame her?
I wonder how many of us are choosing to live a life of security rather than to hear the call to new experiences with new people in new places. We all have an earth center from which we are reluctant to be released, and yet God may be calling us to a broader world in which he plans to do a bigger work in our lives. Do I hang back, refuse to budge, or ignore the call? That is to miss the divine victories he has waiting for us.
As you read this, perhaps you sense God is nudging you to consider something new. If so, swallow down these words of Scripture from Proverbs 3:6, “Seek his will in all you do and he will show you which path to take.” The path may not be clear as yet, but the release for your heart will be clear. You will feel it. His promise is to lead you in the path he’s providing and in so doing you may well be on your way to a sweet wow
Marilyn Meberg
Marilyn Meberg is a serious, wise, well-educated counselor who is prone to break into giggles at the slightest provocation. Her biblically based brand of common sense and good humor is cherished by audiences across the continent because she helps them better understand themselves, God, and how He created us for a relationship with Him that is rooted in love and grace. See Marilyn in person at Loved: The Farewell TourFind an event near you.










No comments:

Post a Comment