Tuesday, September 17, 2019

BOOK REVIEW- Deadly Secret (O'Halleran Security International #1) by TJ Logan


 He steps into the shadows to pursue a killer…

F.B.I. Special Agent Beckett O’Halleran values Family, Honor, and Loyalty. A botched undercover assignment results in the brutal murder of his partner. When the killer is set free by a Deputy Director on the take, Beck walks away from the Bureau. He vows to stop at nothing to avenge his partner’s death, including using an innocent woman.

She is dragged into the shadows by her mother’s past …

A deadly secret from the past threatens Gwendolyn Tamberley’s life. Thrust into the crosshairs of a merciless psychopath who will destroy anyone who threatens his empire, she becomes the center of a firestorm between the Russian mafia, the F.B.I. and a former agent hell-bent on retribution.

Will deadly secrets destroy them?

Gwen’s only hope is the man who’s been deceiving her. And Beck must choose between his obsession with vengeance and the woman who’s come to mean everything to him.
AMAZON LINK
5 STARS

I liked how the book started out.   It gave the book a different slant knowing right off the bat the Deputy Director Barlow is a scumbag.  What added to the difference was that many within the agency KNEW it but didn't have the proof yet to do anything about  it. 
I also liked the descriptive flow of the author's writing.  Pulls you in without being described in a way that adds too many excess details.  It gives you more of the feel of things. Another way that I can explain that is when Gwen meets Nikolai Radoslav.   Even before she shook hands with him I already wanted to wipe my hands off.  I think I might have beat Gwen's feelings when it came to that just before she actually did wipe her hand off.  The evil just rolled off him.  And the writer made me feel that!!!
 Gwen might be tiny, with a kind heart but I liked how Beck recognized that she was like a adorable little Tasmanian devil  when she got fired up. 
 Beck was such a good main character and I liked both of them.  I thought that they were well drawn.
There is humor in this story too. One of my favorite ones has to be Gwen making sandwiches when she is mad!  
Caleb came alongside his brother, Beck to help protect Gwen.  He made a really good addition to the story.  Beck has a really large family who are really tight and I can see some more stories coming up about them.  Sounds like a great idea. 
There is plenty of action in this book and the suspense level remains high as does the tender romance.  The tension of knowing that Radoslav ws going to move against Gwen but not knowing when or how?  You could almost feel it just hovering there.  
The twists when they come are really good and  the Epilogue was a nice touch.
There is a sneak peek into Deadly Discipline which features Caleb, and his new K-9 Jake.  It looks interesting.
 On a side note, you know I think book covers can make a difference.  This one caused me to stop and take deeper look at this book.  I read the book information and that was it.  I wanted to read it.
  “I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

No comments:

Post a Comment