So this week I am following up on that topic with some tips to help you kick habits that make you feel overwhelmed or make you want to give up.
January is almost over and this is the time of year when people who set out to achieve a goal or do a New Year’s resolution might be tempted to give up.
So here are 5 tips (that I personally do) that will help you get the most out of this year—so you can begin to accelerate the breakthrough that you need in your life!
1. Get motivated by one of these Most people are motivated by one of two ways: either they find something in life to inspire them with passion to achieve, or they get so desperately dissatisfied that they cannot take it any longer and are motivated to change.
It does not really matter whether you are motivated by passion and inspiration or desperation and dissatisfaction. What counts is that you take steps to do something about it.
What is going to motivate you to do what it takes to achieve it?
2. Get clear
“Where there is no vision, the people perish …” Proverbs 29:18a
Getting clear on what you want to accomplish will help you. Oftentimes people fail because of a lack of vision.
Write down something you want to do. Be as specific as you can while still being realistic.
Next, find a reason (the “why”) you must do it.
3. Find your why When you find the right “why” for you, the motivation will come. Here are some examples of “whys”:
• I need to get healthy so I can …
• I must write this book because I …
• I have to lose weight or I will …
• I need to start my business so I can …
4. Think small—it’s better Sometimes we set out to do things like lose weight, get healthy, write a book or whatever, and it seems way too big.
Instead, take your goal or outcome and make a list of some smaller tasks it will take to do it even if you don’t know them all yet.
When you do this first it helps take the pressure off so you don’t get overwhelmed.
5. Do one small step each day This is a strategy that I use to do the many things that God calls me to do and I know it will help you as well.
Learn to do just one or two small things towards your bigger goal each day or week. As you get into the habit of doing this on a weekly or even daily basis, you will get things done that you never dreamed possible. In most cases it does not take a lot of effort to do.
Usually the hardest part of doing anything is simply to get started. So what is one thing that you can do right now that will make the most difference in your life if you were to get it done?
These are a few things that I do regularly and I know they will help you when you apply them in your life too. If you already know about them, but don’t do them then make a commitment to start up again!
Doug Addison is a prophetic dream interpreter, speaker, writer, Life Coach, and stand-up comedian. Doug travels the world bringing a message of love, hope and having fun! His unique style helps people discover their destiny and experience God’s supernatural love and power. Doug releases Daily Prophetic Words online and is the author of several books, including Understand Your Dreams Now: Spiritual Dream Interpretation and Personal Development God’s Way. He and his wife Linda live in Los Angeles, California.
- See more at: http://dougaddison.com/2016/01/5-tips-to-kick-the-habits-that-make-you-want-to-give-up/#sthash.4Uj7DT7R.dpuf