Tuesday, March 3, 2020

BOOK REVIEW- The Highlander's Promise by Heather Grothaus *



Description

Born illegitimate, these sons of medieval Scotland are bound for greatness—and made bolder by the power of love . . .

Brave Lachlan Blair stands ready to become his clan’s chieftain—until a revelation shows he is not a Blair son, but the bastard offspring of a notorious criminal. Faced with banishment to the Highland wilderness, Lachlan agrees to wed the daughter of an enemy clan. But he soon finds himself facing a new battle: an unwelcome attraction to his beautiful wife . . .

Since she was a wee lass, Finley Carson has heard tales of legendary Lachlan Blair. But nothing prepares her for marriage to the rugged highlander. Fortunately, Lachlan shares her desire to leave the union unconsummated in hopes of escaping their dutiful marriage. Yet as they partner to pursue the truth of Lachlan’s birthright, their deepening bond turns to passion. And once Lachlan’s past catches up with them, their love is put to the ultimate test . . . AMAZON LINK
                                                                   3 STARS

This book promised a lot.  From the attractive eBook cover to the book blurb.  However, for me it didn't really deliver everything I had hoped for all that well.  
In the Prologue, I was left wondering what was going on which is kind of okay because that is often the case.  But as time went on I began to see that it was part of the flashbacks that was used as part of the story.  That was confusing to me at times as I was still trying to sort out who the people were and how they fit into the story.  At other times I also found the flashbacks a bit confusing as well.  It did smooth out but it was kind of disconcerting to me.
The opening in the first chapter had me raising my eyebrows at the startling beginning.
I will say that Lachlan and Finley both added emotion to the story.  They were each struggling with different issues but each important in their own way.   
There are betrayals that will get exposed.  Many of them going many years back  but are suddenly appearing in their current times to bring even more danger to the forefront.   Many things do get resolved as things ramp up to a dangerous conclusion.  But there is one villain who escapes to cause more trouble in future times I'm sure.  I would have liked to have seen that finished but at least there is an unusual solution to bring a H.E.A. for Lachlan and Finley. 

 "I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

No comments:

Post a Comment