Sunday, June 17, 2018

BOOK REVIEW- BIG SKY SECRETS Book 6 of Parable, Montana Series (The Parable Series) by Linda Lael Miller

Big Sky Secrets: Book 6 of Parable, Montana Series (The Parable Series) by [Miller, Linda Lael]
Self-made tycoon Landry Sutton heads to Hangman Bend's Ranch to sell his land to his brother Zane. Though he's got cowboy in his blood, Landry plans to return to city life before the dust even settles on his boots. Of course, he didn't count on falling for Big Sky Country…or Ria Manning. 

Ria's starting to settle into country life herself…until she has a close encounter of the terrifying kind with a buffalo. Turns out the peeping monster belongs to the cowboy next door—and he has her running even more scared than his bison. She wants a home where the buffalo don't roam, and the men don't either. Could Landry's homecoming be her heart's undoing?  AMAZON 3.5 STARS

While I liked this book I can't say that it was a favorite out of all of the books in this series.
Both main characters were different even from each other; way different. And the author did the almost impossible. She had me end up actually liking Landry Sutton! I felt that was going to be almost impossible because he came off as a snooty, arrogant, superior, jerk in the previous book. And in the beginning he kind of starts out the same way. I thought, "oh no, here we go." But as I kept reading more redeeming qualities did show up. , Highbridge, his butler is one of them. The fact that no self-respecting cowboy would HAVE a butler seems like another snooty thing that he would do. But there is a good reason why he does and it has nothing to do with being superior like I thought. Highbridge does add his own kind of flavor to the book too. Of course, in the beginning Landry is ALL greenhorn and sticks out like a sore thumb. And for a while doesn't even try to fit in.
I liked Ria but more than once I just wanted to say, "Grow a backbone" when it came to her sister, Meredith. Of course, then I did begin to see that
happen more. I understand that she was made to feel less than and an outsider in her own family. All except from her niece Quinn who shows up in the story in an unusual way.
I thought it was kind of odd that you felt that she didn't really interact all that much with the people of Parable. There were snippets here and there were some of the people showed up from the previous books but it wasn't that much really.
The romance I wasn't really feeling it as strongly as in some of the other books. Although, once again this was another couple who basically almost "hated" each other on sight. Well, not exactly but that is what they thought as first.
I still give the author points for her usual writing style that I really enjoyed. Her descriptive phrases were not overdone to my way of thinking. But they are peppered through out the book. And they made me smile every time they did. Like when they were looking for the best bronco bucking horses for the rodeo. They were trying to identify the best buckers, "the ones with go-to-hell wired right into their DNA and a marked determination to launch any cowboy who tried to ride them into outer space". Who doesn't get that? Yes,descriptive phrases that added some smiles and fun to the book. Well, anyway I liked them.
You just know Jess, the "boys" father is going to show up sooner or later and he does once again here. That part felt kind of rushed to me in the end.
In the end with this being Book #6 and maybe the last one, I was left with a feeling of things being unfinished. A slight disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment