Thursday, May 17, 2018

BOOK REVIEW-- FURY BORN by Claire Legrand

Furyborn (The Empirium Trilogy) by [Legrand, Claire]
The stunningly original, must-read fantasy of 2018 follows two fiercely independent young women, centuries apart, who hold the power to save their world...or doom it.
When assassins ambush her best friend, Rielle Dardenne risks everything to save him, exposing herself as one of a pair of prophesied queens: a queen of light, and a queen of blood. To prove she is the Sun Queen, Rielle must endure seven elemental magic trials. If she fails, she will be executed...unless the trials kill her first.
One thousand years later, the legend of Queen Rielle is a fairy tale to Eliana Ferracora. A bounty hunter for the Undying Empire, Eliana believes herself untouchable—until her mother vanishes. To find her, Eliana joins a rebel captain and discovers that the evil at the empire's heart is more terrible than she ever imagined.
As Rielle and Eliana fight in a cosmic war that spans millennia, their stories intersect, and the shocking connections between them ultimately determine the fate of their world—and of each other 
AMAZON  5 STARS


I'll be honest at first I didn't think I was going to like this book.  I found quite a few of the beginning chapters confusing, I wasn't liking the story and almost gave up. I'm so glad that I kept going as it became quite an interesting story.  I finally began to get drawn into the main characters and didn't want to stop.   Also the intensity of the story and the need to survive kept me going too.
The world building, the "myths" and the fantasy of the story was well done.  So was was the magic and all the horrible "tests" that Rielle had to go through.  But that is only part of the story; there is so much more.
The world that Eliana now lives in is very well built as well, the harsh realities and even what she had to survive and keep her family safe.

I liked how there was a chapter for both Rielle and Eliana that switched back and forth, first one and then the other.  It very made very clear whose life you were looking into.   And both people had their very own really good secondary people in it.  Rielle  Audric, Ludivine had grown up together and they make for a tight group even years later.
Tal, and Corien are they friend or foe?  As the story unfolds that will become VERY clear.  

In Eliana's part of the story she has her little brother, Remy, The Wolf who she is hunting and Navi comes into the story as well.  There are also people she fears like, Rahzavel, The Emperor just to name a few.  
As I look back, I can see that I've named quite a few people (but not all) but don't worry as the story rolls along it's not overwhelming.  

For those that want to know, at the end of this book there is what I consider "A Victory for Now" ending.  Now you can either see that as a cliffhanger or if this story has hooked you, it's just the first adventure.  Either way it is a really FULL book. 


I received a copy of this book via Netgalley and this is my honest opinion of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment