MLive file photo LINK
This is good information no matter where you live.Worried about losing power during the storm? Here's how to prepare:
The National Weather Service is offering up a couple things to think of as we head into Monday's winter storm. Grand Rapids is expected to see a half to a quarter inch of ice. Forecasters say West Michigan will be the hardest hit.
• Make sure flashlights are working and keep extra batteries, candles and matches on hand
• Make sure all phones, tablet devices and laptops are fully charged
• Unplug sensitive appliances such as the TV, computer and microwave. If the power goes off, turn off all major electrical appliances
• Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed. If you lose power, frozen food will generally keep for 48 hours. Discard perishable items that have been at 40 degrees for more than two hours.
• If using an emergency heating source such as a wood stove, kerosene heater or fireplace, keeps fuels away from the flames and ventilate properly
• Never run a gasoline-powered generator in the house. The fumes are deadly.