Saturday, April 13, 2019

BOOK REVIEW- Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds by David Goggins


 For David Goggins, childhood was a nightmare — poverty, prejudice, and physical abuse colored his days and haunted his nights. But through self-discipline, mental toughness, and hard work, Goggins transformed himself from a depressed, overweight young man with no future into a U.S. Armed Forces icon and one of the world's top endurance athletes. The only man in history to complete elite training as a Navy SEAL, Army Ranger, and Air Force Tactical Air Controller, he went on to set records in numerous endurance events, inspiring Outside magazine to name him “The Fittest (Real) Man in America.”

In Can't Hurt Me, he shares his astonishing life story and reveals that most of us tap into only 40% of our capabilities. Goggins calls this The 40% Rule, and his story illuminates a path that anyone can follow to push past pain, demolish fear, and reach their full potential. AMAZON
                                                                                                                4 STARS

This book is in your face, no doubt about it. Almost like shock therapy, in the best possible way. And sometimes it's just raw.
The introduction in this book was well thought out and different statements were quick to catch my attention.   The thing that really popped out to me there was that  many of us are addicted to comfort.  That denial is the ultimate comfort zone.  Wow or ouch?  I guess that decision is up to each of us.  We  have the option to either re-evaluate or stay in denial.
I also found myself in 100% agreement when he mentioned that  trying to motivate yourself by your best pep talk or self-help hack is nothing but a temporary fix.  I've been there and done that.
  The dedication was a really good one, all captured in one sentence.  "To the unrelenting voice in my head that will never allow me to stop." It's time to go to war with yourself (another getting your attention provoker).  All that even before getting into the rest of the book. 
He wasn't kidding when he said his childhood was horrible.  It was brutal! Starting with his father but that was only the starting point for some of the "hell" he was going to go through.  It was definitely preparation for the mental toughness he went on to learn. I also liked his thoughts about developing and using Your (own personal) Cookie Jar.  Your Cookie Jar is your shortcut to control your own thought process and you'll need it to push thorough. 
 Another statement that caught my attention was that it's time to abandon the path of least resistance.
There are challenges offered in the book as you read through.  Making it interactive not a spectator kind of book.  Also a few pictures are included.
Before I forget to mention it there will some raw adult language in the book. But I think some other reviewers have already mentioned that.  My advice is gather up the best of what you can and let the rest go.
On a personal note, although the marathons were part of the story, those I didn't enjoy quite as much.   But they are a part of his story and the things he learned. 
This book was full of surprises but the last chapter holds even more.
On a final note I would like to add that I first got introduced to this author by seeing him on a TV segment with Pickler & Ben.  I liked what he said that he had to conquer himself. 
There were 2 statements that went off like a rocket to me especially the first one:
" I believe that in order to find peace, you must be willing to go to war with yourself."
And the second one was that 
"My mind was shackling me.”
After that  I also went to one of the links on David's site  https://davidgoggins.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/01-2019-Outsider-Goggins.pdf
I knew for sure after that I just HAD to read his book and I am glad that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment