Monday, March 25, 2019

BOOK REVIEW- Saving the Scot by Jennifer Trethewey

 Description


Really early on in the book I found myself amused by an observation I made about the two M.C.'s.  Ian HAD to have order in his life.  It was his quirk, his obsession.  Louisa was Chaos.  Everywhere she went she stirred things up.  The story often showed that too. 

I have mixed feelings about this book.  There were parts that I really liked and others not so much.  I guess one of those parts that I didn't like so much was when Louisa did some really stupid stuff.  That phrase TSTL came to mind at least once.  *Sigh* I guess it just has to be chalked up to her being naive.  But that said, she also showed some uncommon courage as well. 
 The time that Louisa and her maid (and friend) Mairi spent on the board the ship made for some interesting times.  And added a few interesting characters as well.  But it also added to some of the slow down in the story for me.  

Of course you just know that Louisa's plot with Mairi is going to explode at some point, right?  But when it does, it REALLY explodes.  I could see one particular problem coming up but neither of the women thought that part through.  So, it was quite the punch in the gut for all involved when it happened.  
Watch for Rory as well, he is going to throw a bit of a monkey wrench into things.  He also causes some tears and a few tender scenes too. 
 Declan is Ian's cousin who doesn't actually show up in the book but his influence does.  He is a man who has prophetic dreams that actually do come to pass.  He has shared with Ian that he will love and marry a woman who wears trousers.  Uh-Oh.  Yes, that's right, "The Daughter from Hell" as she is called by others.  Will the real Louisa please stand up?

I liked that there were several twists at the end and the H.E.A. for SEVERAL people as well.  

 I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment