Friday, March 8, 2019

BOOK REVIEW- The Samurai's Lover (Keepers of Xereill, #4) by Alix Nichols

43790549 
Samurai Iyatt Martenn is a devout man with a history of violence. His painful past has shaped his present. Iyatt leads an ascetic life of a martial arts teacher and fights his demons as best he can.

Haysi, a belly dancer, is a shameless hedonist if Iyatt ever saw one.

When she isn’t swaying her hips for strangers, she can be found in her shop, inking tattoos on harlots. Worse, she even enjoys their company.

Under normal circumstances, Iyatt would’ve never spoken to a woman like her. But Haysi has a gift—she can talk to spirits. For Iyatt, she channels his deceased fiancée, who asks for their help in a delicate matter.

Forced to work together, Iyatt and Haysi soon find themselves drawn to each other...
resisting their attraction...
yielding to it.

But that doesn’t change what Iyatt thinks of Haysi’s job or her views. He knows he can fight his sinful passion by denying his body.

The question is, can he deny his heart?   AMAZON  4 STARS


I chose to read this book because the cover caught my attention and so did the name of the author.  I have read quite a few books in this series and liked them. 
This one was quite a different one for me.  It was well written and the world building was good like usual.  However, I did struggle a bit with the main character, Haysi playing the part of a medium speaking to the dead.  I'm a Christian  and that's a big no-no in my world.  Yes, I know this is fiction but I also don't want to be someone who encourages other Christians to think it's okay.  
SO with that said...Haysi was a good and a unique main character.  So was 
Iyatt, who of course I didn't care for at first.  But as time goes on I began to understand why he was so rigid and judgemental.  I liked when he began to soften.  I got to see the real man underneath.

There is an awful lot of people in the story and it's been a while since I read the other books so I kind of found myself trying to play catch-up. I did remember most of the villains though.  It was some of the others that I was a bit shaky on.

Some touchy things are addressed in the story with some violence shown.  It's a good vs evil kind of story.

There is a good ending with a H.E.A. and some long time things get taken care of.  For those who have read some of the other books, remember Chief Ultek?  But don't get too comfy, there are some more recent things that have yet to be resolved.  It means more adventures. 


 I received an advance copy of this book and chose to submit a review.   These are my honest thoughts about this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment