Saturday, October 6, 2018

BOOK REVIEW- GIRL, WASH YOUR FACE by Rachel Hollis


Do you ever suspect that everyone else has life figured out and you don’t have a clue? If so, Rachel Hollis has something to tell you: that’s a lie.
As the founder of the lifestyle website TheChicSite.com and CEO of her own media company, Rachel Hollis developed an immense online community by sharing tips for better living while fearlessly revealing the messiness of her own life. Now, in this challenging and inspiring new book, Rachel exposes the twenty lies and misconceptions that too often hold us back from living joyfully and productively, lies we’ve told ourselves so often we don’t even hear them anymore.
With painful honesty and fearless humor, Rachel unpacks and examines the falsehoods that once left her feeling overwhelmed and unworthy, and reveals the specific practical strategies that helped her move past them. In the process, she encourages, entertains, and even kicks a little butt, all to convince you to do whatever it takes to get real and become the joyous, confident woman you were meant to be.
With unflinching faith and rock-hard tenacity, Girl, Wash Your Face shows you how to live with passion and hustle--and how to give yourself grace AMAZON 5 STARS

I enjoyed every last drop of it.  It had a "sitting down with a friend" kind of feel to it. I think I would enjoy having her as a friend in fact. I liked that she found ways to come to terms with it's okay to be different and that her normal doesn't HAVE to look like everyone else's.  She came across as refreshingly real.  

I also would like to mention that I have never heard of Rachel Hollis before but I am glad that I read this book.  I gathered nuggets of truth that I am exploring.  The first one that hit me was the truth about how we lie to ourselves when we say we are going to do something and then flake out and don't do it.  My eyes popped open on that one!  It was like she held a mirror up to my face and I saw something.  Something that I didn't like but once seen now I can do something about. It wasn't the only statement that caused revelations like that.  Just for the record let me mention that I am a 60+ years old woman and I could identify with what she was saying.  

On a few last notes, I would like to say that I took a risk and picked up her book on audio book to listen to in addition to reading this book.  Why was it a risk?  Because I have tried at least 3 times to listen to audio books and it all came up a Big Fat Zero.  I never succeeded trying to listen to a book for a couple of reasons. One is that I am a very visual person AND time after time my mind would wander listening to a book. This was my FIRST success with this kind of media.  Not only did my mind NOT wander, but her voice wasn't monotone in any way. Expressions came through really well.   She was engaging and funny like her written words but I got to hear her style.  Anything else would have put me to sleep.
One final thought or two.  I really liked the way she set up the chapters with the lies.   She also added what helped her as a closing part of each chapter and I liked that a lot.   I probably should mention that the unique eBook cover and title was the first things to catch my attention. 

I voluntarily read a copy of this book via Netgalley and these are my honest opinions.





No comments:

Post a Comment