Wednesday, October 31, 2018

BOOK REVIEW- AN AUTUMN IN PARIS by Alix Nichols

42395123
Because of Audrey Hepburn, I have foolishly…

a) bought into the whole “Paris is always a good idea” thing without any offscreen evidence,
b) uprooted my son and left my bittersweet memories behind,
c) allowed Thomas—the handsome, caring, way-out-of-my-league vet—to disrupt the humdrum life I had self-prescribed for my Broken Heart Syndrome.

Behind his easy smile and swoon-worthy pecs, Thomas conceals an open wound. No matter how hot his kisses or how genuine his affection, he’s still reeling. He can’t move on.

And I can’t risk falling for him. I have a child to raise—a preteen boy who needs his mom to be all there. 

But as autumn strips the trees of their leaves, falling for Thomas is exactly what I do. Throwing caution to the wind, I dare to hope for a future with him…

…until the past comes knocking.

Can we handle it or will it break us forever?


There are three different divided sections in this book.  It beginnings with Part 1 Daniela who is often called Dana.  Part 2 is the voice of Thomas; his point of view.  There is also a Part 3- which is BOTH of them each sharing their P.O.V.'s back and forth.  I found that was different but I did like it.  

Dana's son, Liviu had such an unusual name.  Well at least to me an American reader.  It also caused me to wonder about what the right pronunciation of his name was. And so I went and searched it and came up with several choices.   Liviu also has a dog; a fluff ball named Baloo who helps introduce Dana and Thomas originally.  Dana left quite the first impression.....*sigh how embarrassing and surprising.  
Thomas was quite the guy.  He was funny, loyal to a fault and he was a softie when it came to both animals and people.  He is a regular "Marshmallow Man". 
 The relationship between Thomas and Dana was being slowly built but not in a way that was painfully slow.  As a reader, they exposed me to differing cultures, and some slang in languages.  It was a fun trip and I also ended up feeling like I had taken a romantic European trip from their adventure.  I also felt like the emotional parts of the story was handled well and felt realistic.  But not only was there emotions but the story made me smile more than once.  Some of that humor was provided by Liviu but Dana was no slouch when it came to witty humor. 
I really liked that Liviu was part of this story because he also added so much.  His interactions with Dana and Thomas and even his grandmother were an enjoyable, believable thing.  So suited to his age and you got a pretty good look into his personality.  

Manon, a woman friend of Dana's adds some color and humor to the story.  She was a great friend. She also added a HUGE misunderstanding on the part of Thomas in the beginning.  It makes me smile again just remembering it. 
I thoroughly enjoyed Dana's Romanian mother, Ioana, the times that she showed up in the story. She was kind of flamboyant in a good way. I think Thomas put it best.  He realized that the way she dressed matched her personality.  That was so discerning  of him and kind too.  

Yes, the main characters do get together for world rocking sex.  And of course that is before the past shows up to rock their worlds in an unexpected not quite as good way. 
Epilogue anyone?  Oh yes, I always want one of those.  And Daniela provides a good one from her P.O.V.  

It was kind of nostalgic to have some time spent at La Boheme since I have read some of the other books by Alix Nichols that featured it.


I just have to add how attractive I thought the eBook cover is.


I voluntarily read an Advanced  Reader Copy of this book and these are my honest thoughts about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment