Tuesday, October 30, 2018

BOOK REVIEW- FIRST EARL I SEE TONIGHT by Anna Bennett

First Earl I See Tonight: A Debutante Diaries Novel by [Bennett, Anna]
An heiress with a daring proposal. An earl who’s determined to resist her. And a love that just might be written in the stars, in First Earl I See Tonight by Anna Bennett.
Recently jilted by his fiancée, David Gray, Earl of Ravenport is not in the market for a wife. Even if Gray didn’t have his hands full renovating his crumbling country house, it would take more than a bold marriage proposal from a headstrong young beauty to thaw his frozen heart. Gray is confident that spending a week at his ramshackle estate will change her mind about marriage, but every passionate moment he spends with her tempts him to change his…

A talented artist, Miss Fiona Hartley desperately needs her dowry money to pay off a blackmailer set on ruining her sister. The handsome earl seems a sensible choice for a husband…if only she can convince him that romance will play no part. But marrying in name only may prove difficult for Fiona. Gray can’t help but be dazzled by her genuine warmth. Yet as their feelings deepen, Fiona’s deadline looms. Will her secrets destroy them, or is true love their final destiny?  AMAZON 3.5 STARS

This was a charming, quirky story, with an edge of mystery.  Oh and yes there is going to be some sex involved in the book as well, for those who want to know.  And as you can tell from the book blurb Fiona was an unconventional lady.  And she continued on in that way throughout the book.  She was also talented, artistic and kind.  Someone who loved her sister Lily, who was not a sister by birth but by the heart.  Fiona put so many people's happiness and well being ahead of herself.
Gray had a lot of emotional wounds that caused him to harden his heart.  The latest emotional snag had been his fiancee dumping him. He was a good conflicted main character.  One who really loved his grandmother. 
One thing that I didn't care for so much was the diary idea that Lily came up with and pushed her sister and their friend Sophie into.  
I can see how it could come about and I considered their young age but still didn't care for it that much.  I know it was part of the story but I didn't enjoy that part as much as I thought I might.

There is a twist of a surprise when it comes to finding out who the blackmailer is and just how far that person is prepared to go.  I didn't see that one coming.  It also came about a bit earlier than I expected but the timing came at a good point.  I say that because I figured once the "who" was known that would be the end of that.  But not so and the story really starts to get even more interesting and with more action.  
I did like how the story ended and I wondered what Lily's future holds. 
On a side note I do want to say what a beautiful and appropriate cover was chosen for this eBook.  I say appropriate because it matches some of the elements of the book and I really liked that a lot.  

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley and this is my honest opinion of it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment