Sunday, June 30, 2019

BOOK REVIEW- CALCULATED RISK (A Bree and Tanner Thriller #1) by Janie Crouch



Sheriff’s deputy Tanner Dempsey is just doing his job when he stops a shoplifter trying to steal diapers and formula. But something about this frightened young woman makes him want to do more.
Bree Daniels is grateful for Tanner’s help, but there’s so much she can never tell him… The truth is dangerous to everyone she lets into her life—and could be lethal to Tanner. AMAZON 5+ STARS

Wow, what an intense story. I loved it!  The main characters were great.  The depth and complexity of Bree and her life was off the charts!  The emotions of her playing hide and seek was so well done that I could almost taste it.  But this child's game of hide and seek was not really a game because there was SO much at stake.  The other well developed part of the story is the emotional stunting that Bree is well aware that she suffers from.  She has no idea of what normal is because she's never lived it.  To give you an idea about that, she finds it hard to even let someone hug her.  She hadn't been hugged herself in years.  Running?  Yes, she knew how to do that.  She was an expert at that as well as being a super genius.  
Tanner was a really good counter character for Bree.  He was an honorable man. Although he was persistent about finding out her "story"he reached a point where he knew he had to be patient, kind and gentle with her to earn her trust.   He likened her to a skittish horse who needed those qualities of kindness.  Kindness was something she didn't know what to do with. 
Action, action, and all the action you could imagine keep this story moving.  Also trying to keep one step ahead of the organized dangers made you wonder how in the world these things could be stopped.  I also have to say that the idea of what the evil guys wanted to accomplish was kind of scary.  But I'm not saying any more about that.  Read it yourself and learn.
There is a surprise when it comes to someone closer than anyone imagined.  Someone who did NOT have her best interests at heart.  It was someone who I had just begun to have questions about in my own mind.  So when it is revealed I had no one to high-five with so I just did it mentally.  
I also have to add that there were quite a few good people in the story as well.  The community that Bree tried to shoplift in had a lot of good people and I enjoyed the characters that were that part of the story.  But there weren't so many that it made it too hard to keep up with.  
 The ending has an awesome twist and had me almost clapping my hands.    And I loved how the loose ends were pulled together for the people in the story and not JUST Bree and Tanner.

 “I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”


No comments:

Post a Comment