Friday, June 16, 2017

BOOK REVIEW- SUMMER RIPTIDE by Barbara Lohr

Summer Riptide by [Lohr, Barbara]
Mandy comes home to forget…until Kevin, now a war veteran, helps her remember. Ten years ago high school sweethearts Mandy and Kevin had the whole world. Divorce and three tours of duty have stolen their dreams. In this heart warming novella romance, beach picnics, lake sunsets and moonlit swims help Mandy and Kevin heal the past so they can face the future.

A lot has changed when Mandy Klavis returns to Gull Harbor. Voted the girl most likely to succeed, she’s discovered marriage and a city career didn’t deliver. Kevin Corbin, her high school boyfriend, knows all about responsibility. Following three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, the star quarterback now struggles with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Instead of a wife, he has a one-eyed dog named Rufus.

But Kevin’s still smoking hot -- a good-hearted man with a sweet smile. When he stops in her family bakery for a raspberry kolache, unsettling memories come flooding back. Together they explore summer in Gull Harbor, the way it used to be. The lake provides carefree refuge but a hidden danger could end their dreams.   AMAZON 4 STARS


A good feel good, summer story.  Don't get me wrong, it's not all about feeling good.  Both main characters are suffering from damages.  I liked both of them and I also appreciated the way the author  described some of the things about Michigan.  She painted a really good picture of the area and even the sometimes  unpredictable weather was pretty good. I also liked how "summer people" were explained.  
When I read in the book blurb about danger I went, "huh?)  but when it came, it wasn't exactly what I had expected but it was good.  A surprise for sure. 

On a side note, I had no idea what kolaches were when it came to the bakery, so I had to look it up.  

And here are some pictures to help.  The second picture probably gives a more accurate idea of the actual size.




Larger koláč, called "frgál", typical of the Moravian Wallachia area


I received a copy of this book and this is my opinion of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment