Wednesday, June 7, 2017

BOOK REVIEW- HABIT STACKING-127 SMALL CHANGES by Steve "S.J." Scott

Habit Stacking: 127 Small Changes to Improve Your Health, Wealth, and Happiness by [Scott, S.J.]

Master Your Goals, Improve Your Life, or Overcome a Major Obstacle -- One Small Habit at a Time


Imagine what life would be like if you started every morning with small actions that created a chain reaction of positive benefits throughout your life.You eat a healthy breakfast, have a great conversation with your loved ones, and then begin your workday focusing on the important tasks. Then, throughout the day, you complete other habits that positively impact your top goals. You’d probably feel more fulfilled, get more accomplished, and have a better direction for your career.

All of this is possible when you add DOZENS of small changes to your daily routine. These habits don’t require much effort. In fact, most of these habits ONLY take five minutes or less to complete. And all this can be done when you follow a strategy known as "Habit Stacking."

One Routine + Multiple Habits = Habit Stacking


We all know it's not easy to add multiple new habits to your day. But what you might not realize is it's fairly easy to build a single new routine. The essence of habit stacking is to take a series of small changes and create a ritual that you follow on a daily basis. 

Habit stacking works because you eliminate the stress of trying to change too many things at once. Your goal is to simply focus on a single routine that only takes about 15 to 30 minutes to complete. Within this routine is a series of actions (or small changes). All you have to do is to create a checklist and follow it every single day. AMAZON   5 STARS

Wow, this book surprised me.  All in good ways.  I hesitated at first to get this book because I didn't want to be disappointed with the same-ole-same old.  I wasn't disappointed.  Now, the difficulty I face is how to put into some many words how much I liked this book.  I guess, the first thing to say, is that I liked the friendly way the author wrote, there was an ease to his writing that I enjoyed.  Oh, he had facts and backed them up with links but I didn't feel like I was drowning in them.  
I liked that he broke things own into categories of life and things in life that most of us want to improve.  
There is no way I can touch on everything of course, so I'll just add a few things that got my attention.  
Early on in the book he mentioned, the myth of anything or anyone being an overnight success.  I was in total agreement with him and was glad to see that mentioned. He presented the idea that small actions done every day causes a compound effect.  I liked the way he put it and it reminded me how easy that was to understand when it came to money (compound interest). Another damaging though process was the "I'll get around to it / I'll remember to do it (later)  Paradox.  A statement that opened my eyes was that small habits are super easy but get overlooked because there isn't an immediate negative consequence for not completing them.  What a great point!!  It wasn't long before some of my thinking began to change by reading this book.  Something that also got my attention was the information about using our willpower.  It was enlightening and totally different from what we normally hear.  

This book has great references to resources and great links to other helpful sites.  

There is no way to point out all the great stuff in this book.  I consider it  a keeper.  Something to begin using, keep using and to use as a refresher too.  I think just a short time ago I began to use just a tiny bit of this system.  Of course I didn't exactly know that's what it was called or had it explained this well.  Now I can go deeper in it with someone who knows what they are doing.  I'm not finished in any way yet with this book, this is a road map,  process and I appreciate it.   Maybe other people know about these things, but I'll be honest and say most of it was new to me. 

 "I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for a review". 

No comments:

Post a Comment