Thursday, August 19, 2021

*Book Review- The Duke Who Loved Me by Jane Ashford

   

Historical Fiction , Romance 

The Duke of Tereford is accustomed to getting his own way, but she's going to teach him a thing or two about love...

James Cantrell, the new Duke of Tereford, has inherited a dukedom in disarray and is overwhelmed by his unaccustomed responsibilities. Then he gets an idea. Cecelia Vainsmede served as liaison between James and her father, and she knows a great deal about business matters, his own in particular. She's also quite pretty. Ever the pragmatist, he suggests a marriage of convenience.

Cecelia has always been good at working with James, but she doesn't understand how he can be so obtuse. He clearly doesn't realize that he's the duke she's always wished for, or that his offer is an insult. But when a German prince arrives in London and immediately sets out to woo Cecelia, James will have to come to terms with what he really feels for her. Is running away worth the cost of losing her, or will the duke dare to win her once and for all?  AMAZON LINK

3.5 STARS

The beauty of this eBook cover drew me in. It was just so beautiful.   Even the potential of the story did somewhat too. I had high hopes for the story but I ended up somewhat disappointed.  I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.  I will say that it did have some good moments  that I did like though.  

Cecelia and James couldn't be more different when it came to how they viewed responsibilities.  Cecelia was so good at them that she was often overcome with a load of them.  All of it fell on her shoulders at a very young age.  Starting because of the unawareness or concern on both her father and Aunt's part.  James was so selfish that he barely noticed he had any. He was entitled and concerned with fashion and "man" things for the most part.  In the beginning I really didn't like him. 

There were a couple of interesting secondary people in the story.  I found myself getting more interested in the story when the Gardener family showed up. They began to touch his compassion and you can see he began to grow up a bit more. 

Of course, he's not all the way there yet so there will be more ups and downs for him and his always needing to win.  

The ending was okay and because of the parts I did like I will be giving it 3.5 stars on Amazon when it opens for reviews. 


"I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

No comments:

Post a Comment