Friday, November 21, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: RUDE AWAKENING


Jack's life used to be normal but it hasn't been that way for years.  He's been hiding from his friends, for three years.  Lin is one of those friends and she still has a "thing" for Jack; something Jack didn't know before.   He remembers exactly when everything changed.  Forget about that old saying about monsters being under the bed.  They are everywhere and have settled in quite nicely, at least for them. 

I have to admit, as I was reading the very first chapters it was really kind of hard to try to figure out what was going on.  Not during Lin's story but definitely Jack's, its just so otherwordly.  I have to say I thought, "Huh?" more than once.  One of the characters had made the comment that it was like they had fallen into the rabbit hole like Alice in Wonderland.  I had thought that several chapters back so it was really fun to have it recognized right in the book.   I was really pulling for the MC's, Jack and Lin and it began to show more and more Lin had a lot more to offer when it came to Jack's strange life, than either previously thought.  The author had to build a whole other world in this story, make that worlds.  And also all different kinds of territories, creatures and ranks as well.  For me it was a Mixed Bag of feelings about the book. I  seemed to swing back and forth-liked it, I didn't like it, I didn't get it and then I did get it.  It was quite the ride. I never wavered on liking the people and in the end, it began to make more sense to me.  If you think you're going to figure it all out in the first few chapters, good luck with that. (Of course maybe I'm not quite as good as figuring this stuff out as I think I am.)

Time to remember this is Book 1 of the adventure so while there was some closure on some things, it left room for more adventures to follow in another book.  So I guess in my opinion, it can  be read all on its own with no problem.  

I like the eBook cover; I don't always comment on them but I did like this one.

“I received a copy of this book in exchange

 for an honest review”.

No comments:

Post a Comment