Wednesday, September 19, 2018

BOOK REVIEW- THEY SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES by John Sherrill

They Speak with Other Tongues: A Skeptic Investigates This Life-Changing Gift by [Sherrill, John]
More than fifty years ago, a reporter for Guideposts magazine set out to gather information about a strange new occurrence happening all over the country. John Sherrill, a skeptic when it came to speaking in tongues and the baptism with the Holy Spirit, was determined to retain his objectivity while digging out the facts. What he found would change his life. 

With more than 2.5 million copies sold, this classic work is the story of one man's journey from skepticism to a life-changing relationship with God. Filled with historical and biblical accounts of speaking in tongues, this is also the deeply personal and moving story of how you, too, can walk in the power of the Spirit day by day. 

Now includes a new epilogue and update on how to lean on the Holy Spirit for unity in an increasingly divisive world.  AMAZON  4 STARS

I liked the fact that this author started out as a skeptic, which may sound like an unusual sentence coming from a Christian.  But to me, it gives the opportunity to a balanced examination. I believe this author went into it with a honest desire to be an objective observer.  Which I think he accomplished along with his wife, Tib's input as well.


I was amazed to be able to hear stories of heroes of the faith that I had not heard of before. Of course, I know that there are so many people who have done great things for God that we don't know of.  Why did I call them heroes of faith?  Because they often gave up everything to go forward in what they believed to be true.  And  in these cases it went against the mainstream opinions.  There was more than one example of the hostility that later came against those that spoke in tongues.  It was shameful how supposedly godly people (ordained ministers, elders of a church and even lawmen) were used to threaten and try to stop them from gathering.
I didn't know that a man, Charles F. Parham (a Methodist minister) founded a school that helped spread the Pentecostal message.  And out one of those schools an ordained minister(Seymour) became such a prominent figure when Azusa Street revival broke out.  Now Azusa and Seymour I had heard of, but the time before that was news to me. So it was really good to read about more church history.  
I especially enjoyed the impact David du Plessis and his experiences had on the author.  There were quite a few really good people who added to the author's journey. It was also a journey that included searching the scriptures which were included.  And there were quite a few helpful tips added as well.
I was so glad that there was an Epilogue, it was quite the journey.  And this Epilogue was a really good way to end it.  I found some of it really powerful!  In the end, it is up to each reader what to make of what they have read. 


I voluntarily read an an advanced reader copy of this book from Chosen Books via Netgalley.  These are my own honest opinion of it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment