Wednesday, September 5, 2018

BOOK REVIEW- AMBER VIAL (Mixologists and Pirates Book 1) by Frost Kay

Amber Vial (Mixologists and Pirates Book 1) by [Kay, Frost]
Fact #257 - Allie Sai should have been named "Unlucky." It made complete sense that the girl terrified of flying and aliens would be drafted for colonization of an alien planet. Right? Right?? 

In her mind, she had one choice. Desertion. But again... Unlucky. She should've known better. A failed escape attempt leaves her chained to an airship chair with nothing but her bag, a vial of her family's super moonshine, and her anxiety for company. 

Fact #372 - Sometimes moonshine is not the answer. 

Numbing her fear seemed like a brilliant idea - until pirates attack her ship looking for goods of the female variety. Looks like she'll have to save herself, but... unlucky strike three. 

Fact #401 - Pirates aren't princes. They're extortionists.

It was just one sip... maybe two. 

When fantasy and reality blur, can Allie save herself?  AMAZON   3 stars

It was a promising short story but there just wasn't enough.  It felt like I barely got into it when it ended.   Could it be interesting when it continues?  Yes, I think so.  I did like the two main characters.  The hapless Allie and the spunky red-haired woman, Jer.  I do have to say though that I felt a bit confused about some of what was going on with the main story.  Probably just as confused as Allie is.  Is what she is remembering a hallucination from her first sips of the moonshine or are they actual memories? 
I would have preferred a whole book and not what looks like it all broken into short stories.  I might have even gone for 2 books in the series instead.   I'm not sure whether I will continue reading them or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment