Tuesday, July 25, 2017

BOOK REVIEW- THE CUTAWAY by Christina Kovac

The Cutaway: A Thriller by [Kovac, Christina]
The Cutaway draws you into the tangled world of corruption and cover-up as a young television producer investigates the disappearance of a beautiful Georgetown lawyer in this stunning psychological thriller, perfect for fans of Paula Hawkins and Gillian Flynn.

When brilliant TV news producer Virginia Knightly receives a disturbing “MISSING” notice on her desk related to the disappearance of a beautiful young attorney, she can’t seem to shake the image from her head. Despite skepticism from her colleagues, Knightly suspects this ambitious young lawyer may be at the heart of something far more sinister, especially since she was last seen leaving an upscale restaurant after a domestic dispute. Yet, as the only woman of power at her station, Knightly quickly finds herself investigating on her own.

Risking her career, her life, and perhaps even her own sanity, Knightly dives deep into the dark underbelly of Washington, DC business and politics in an investigation that will drag her mercilessly through the inextricable webs of corruption that bind the press, the police, and politics in our nation’s capital.  AMAZON  5 STARS

What a good, intense story with plenty of powerful, high intensity people in it.   In the beginning, I had a little bit of trouble getting into the story.  I'm so glad I kept with it though.  Virginia, wow.  Now she was quite the pit bull when it came to getting a story and not only that, it had to be the truth.  She also wasn't out to destroy people with the truth which made her so refreshing.  She had her code of conduct and she stuck with it.  She was a complex person.   I liked her unique photographic memory that had more to do with pictures than any other kind of content.  She saw just a quick glimpse of a picture and it stuck with her.  I can see now why the book was titled Cutaway.
Secondary people were such a good addition to the book, even though so many times I began to wonder, "Trust this person or don't trust this person?"  The writer pulled you right into Virginia's dilemma pretty easily as time went on. One person who really did seem to have her back was the Evening News Anchor, Ben.  He would get snippy at times and give her attitude too but he did try to help her as much as he could.  They made for a good team.
The office politics were easily believe, it was so like what you see in regular, non-book life.  Some people had to go, they needed to leave their positions.  They abused their power, took credit for others work , intimidated their staff and were just plain unpleasant.  I'll let you read the story to see how that goes.
The twists and surprises in this book were excellent.  Every time I thought I knew the who and the why of what was going on, I found out I was wrong.  The story kept me guessing; I liked that.
The only thing I didn't like was that one relationship ended, I had been pulling for them.  But, *sigh* I guess I can see why it had to work out this way (at least for now?)


I received a copy of this book via Netgalley and this is my honest thoughts on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment