Saturday, July 15, 2023

BOOK REVIEW- Funeral Daze by Dorian Box

  

General Fiction (Adult) | Humor & Satire | Mystery & Thrillers 
 

SUMMER 2000. When down-and-out surfer and former lottery winner Danny Teakwell was framed for a grisly murder, he got help from a family of wacky morticians that included seven-year-old embalming expert Jessica Jewell (Psycho-Tropics). Five years later, the tables are turned when Jessica shows up, alone and desperate, seeking shelter. Her parents suddenly sold their family funeral home and vanished.

Danny’s not in a good place. Grieving the recent death of his wife and childhood sweetheart, he’s let life crumble. He reluctantly agrees to take the girl in for one night, but the willful twelve-year-old convinces him to join her investigation to find her parents and get back their funeral home. The trail leads into a ghastly criminal conspiracy of corpses, caskets, and killers. As the bond between the unlikely pair grows, it becomes unclear who’s saving who and which one is really running the show.

Hilarious and heartwarming mystery and suspense with a walloping conclusion, Dorian Box brings his unique blend of darkness and light to life in this zany joyride through the Sunshine State.

AMAZON LINK 

5+ STARS

I've got to be honest, when I first started reading this book, I wasn't too sure about it.   It's slow start and quirky people had me shaking my head. BUT, then that weird little girl Jessica grabbed a hold of me and didn't let go !! The more the story went on the more I loved her.  She was smart, loyal and could out maneuver any adult who tried to mess with her.  You argue with her?  The you lose, spectacularly! Didn't matter who you were, that wasn't going to intimidate her.  It left me wanting to read more of her adventures when the story ended. I hope this will be a series.  

Now on to the rest of my thoughts and this book.  Danny, was a good guy who had basically checked out of life after his wife, Sari died. Jessica was right when she says, "Everyone loves Danny" and he doesn't realize how great he really is.  It's really great how they begin to really connect and how they "got" each other.  They make a really great team.

The emotions, the dangers, the plots against Jessica and Danny was SO well written that I enjoyed all of it.  Especially when Jessica and Danny fight back.  Well, to be accurate it was mainly clever Jessica fighting back the way she knew best. Jessica was also bold and fearless.  Except for that one thing that she feared, drowning.

Excellent ending that left me wanting more. 

 “I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

No comments:

Post a Comment