Tuesday, October 31, 2023

BOOK REVIEW- Buried in his Boots (Merry Summerfield Cozy Mysteries #5) by Kristie Klewes

   

Brilliant house. Amazing views. I thought I’d hit the house-sitting jackpot until Claude, the big beagle lookalike, unearthed a body from behind a collapsing wall in the yard.
First we saw the distinctive Russian boots that proved to be a truly gruesome trophy. This led to all sorts of speculation.

Hi – I’m Merry Summerfield, freelance book editor and house-sitter of Drizzle Bay. I’ve been tipped out of my beachside haven because it’s now a crime scene - but do you think that’ll stop me trying to discover what really happened?
The murderers won’t be Dex and Dom - the short, bald, house-renovators - because this is their lovely new home. Boastful Brett Royal from the Whale Watch boat is talking far too much and bringing the murder to everyone’s attention, so it’s probably not him. My brother’s new equestrian girlfriend? But she seems so
nice! The semi-criminal boys being re-trained on the forestry land in the hills? Hmmm…

Suggestions come thick and fast, but nothing seems quite right. Detectives Bruce Carver and Marion Wick are inhot pursuit of the truth, but they won’t solve the mystery of whether my summer flirtation will be with Vicar Paul or Black-ops John. That remains as murky as the mud on Lord Drizzle’s farm. Maybe a Christmas concert will help?

This fun cozy mystery is full of your favorite people from the other books in the series. Plus some new ones, a puzzling murder, a touch of romance, and laugh-out-loud lines. Be happy – Merry is back!
4 STARS
 I really liked Merry and I think this was my first introduction to her and this series.
She said, "I'm just naturally curious". And the person she was with responded, "And it gets you into trouble." I said "person" because there was more than one person who said that her curiosity got her in trouble. And they were spot on about that.  She gets into some hilarious things as well as some dangerous ones as well.  Past dangers also get mentioned where her curiosity led her.  Even though I hadn't read those it was easy to follow.  
I got to know Merry's brother, Graham which I enjoyed especially since he's such an opposite to Merry.
In one particular case, I loved how it was written when it came to a specific mystery how Merry thought.  Her blood ran cold with dread.  Her brain ran hot with curiosity. Another favorite was when a person wanted to run something by her because she had a "devious brain."  
Merry had some interesting men floating around her but I was hoping Merry would find "her man."
Fabulous twist at the end and I liked that.
 
 “I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

No comments:

Post a Comment