Saturday, December 31, 2022

BOOK REVIEW- Kiss of the Assassin by Joylene Nowell Butler

   

General Fiction (Adult) | Mystery & Thrillers | Romance 

Description

Marina Antonovna, a Soviet spy, and Mateo Arcusa, an American homicide lieutenant first meet in Cambodia during the Vietnam War as enemies. Fearful that the most powerful man in the Soviet Union, KGB Chairman Vladimir Kurenkov, has ordered her death, Marina risks everything to defect to the United States. She promises Mateo that her days as an assassin are over. Vladimir is determined to do whatever it takes to bring her back and, by threatening Mateo’s life, forces Marina to break her promise.

AMAZON LINK 

 4 STARS

I liked this book but with some reservations! I think I'll start with those reservations first. I didn't enjoy all the back and forth when it came to current time and past time.  Not a fan of it but usually okay with a little.  This book had more than I am usually comfortable with. Also more of the political countries histories than I like although you could tell the author did their homework.   For me, though it slowed the story down.  But that's my personal feelings on that.

Now moving on to the more positive things that I liked:

What a breathtaking start to this book.  And the edge of the seat action continues throughout.

 I absolutely was on board when it came to Marina and Mateo.  That's quite a feat considering Marina has been turned into a heartless assassin. Yes, the heartless assassin who is violently ill, throwing up after each kill. Something that she HAS to keep secret.     Also the way she has been raised and used for YEARS was shameful, and so well shown.  Plus the fear that she has been under makes it a lot easier to hope for her.  Hope that she can finally really be freed from under her guardian's thumb.  So you can see how Marina has been trained to show no emotions, but the story is emotional and not just with her.

Mateo was great as far as I was concerned. Mateo causes a shift in Marina even in their most dangerous meeting. He was prepared to die honorably but Marina saw something in him and took the risks of making sure he stayed alive. 

Plenty of twists, turns and dangers are in the story with adversaries and two-faced people coming out of the woodwork.  Marina and Mateo are also being twisted right and left when it comes to their attraction.  Will they ever have a life together or will they continue to just see each other years apart or never again? 

I liked how the story ended with a good Epilogue included. 

 “I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

(NETGALLEY)  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment