Tuesday, November 27, 2018

BOOK REVIEW- STRATAGEM by Robin Caroll


Deep in the gritty underbelly of New Orleans, psychologist Grayson Thibodeaux loses everything when his wife leaves him to climb her company’s corporate ladder. He buries himself in his job of creating mind-bending adventure games for businesses as team-building explorations. When his ex-wife’s company hires Grayson’s to create an elaborate game, he doesn’t see how things can get worse. Until she dies during the course of the game he created…making him the prime suspect for murder.
AMAZON  5 STARS


Amazing, simply amazing!  It didn't take long for me to get drawn into the story and find that I liked Grayson a whole lot.  He was brilliant, that almost goes without saying.  But he was also a caring man who had got shafted by his ex.   But his ex-wife Anna Belle didn't just save the pain for Grayson, she spread it around liberally.  Even her own mother felt it. 
Some of the players in the book:
Pam Huron- Grayson's loyal assistant and friend
Colton York- co- Business Partner with Grayson
Anna Belle- Grayson's ex wife
Brandon Gibbons- police investigator and friend of Grayson's.  He is involved as a co-investigator on the murder.  And has at times before this consulted with Grayson on other cases.  
Danielle Witz-  a policewoman who was co-investigating the murder.  She has an ax to grind with Grayson.  
It was interesting that all of the people who were in the house when Anna Belle died all had the same story.  Well..until the private interviews, then previous things that hadn't been mentioned were suddenly brought up.  It caused  a whole lot of  missing parts of a puzzle begin to show up.  What a mess for the investigators.  But what great reading for "us". 
I won't even go into who were all in the house during the "game" besides Anna Belle.  That just needs to unfold on its own and so does some of their motives.  Other than the fact that they were four people  competing for a very lucrative promotion.  But they weren't the only ones in the house.  So let the games begin.  And it includes some pretty rough game moves.  

I have to say, in my mind I kept saying "what about ___(this person)?  My radar was up about that person and I was suspicious part way through.   I also kept thinking, "Motive, Motive, what would be the motive?"  I guess all kinds of things but I was wrong, wrong, wrong about the motive.  
This book had so many twists and turns that it just kept me guessing.  I really enjoyed that and it all came together working towards  a dramatic conclusion.  One thing I will say is that at least once, I got temporarily lost in some of the details.  The time-lines of when/how things happened was so clever and had me temporarily off balance.  But it didn't last and it was worth it over all.  So was the depth of the personalities of the people in the book.  I can't wait to read more by this author.  
I almost forgot to mention that faith in God and prayer are mentioned but do not over power the book.  It just adds another dimension.  If you don't like stories with God in it?  Please don't pass this book by because of that..it was outstanding!

I voluntarily read an Advanced Readers Copy of this book via Netgalley and these are my honest opinions of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment