Sunday, February 4, 2018

BOOK REVIEW- OBSIDIAN by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (A Lux Novel Book 1) by [Armentrout, Jennifer L.]
Book One of the bestselling Lux series
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring...until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.  AMAZON 3.5 stars


This story had it's up's and down's of likability for me.    First off, I did like the explanations of what it was like to be an Alien.  It was different in some ways than most stories I've read that had alien's in it.    And the way that the author built up the tension of the mystery that surrounded them at first.  I thought that was pretty good and did pull the reader in.
  
Dee was of course the most likable of all the characters,it was hard for her not to be.  She wanted to be "normal" and have a normal friend who wasn't afraid of her.  And Katy fit that bill and she liked Dee right back. 
Katy could come up with attitude all on her own and Daemon seemed the right person to bring that out of her.  She took a lot of grief before she finally dealt it right back.   She could have quite the mouth on her when she didn't freeze up around him.   
Daemon could be likable at times and then he reverted to the arrogant stay away from me and my sister "jerk".  One of the names Katy called him.   As time went on I could see why he blew hot and cold but after awhile, I felt like saying enough already.  

I liked the Sci-fi elements to it and even some of the friendships.  But it was also written for a younger crowd to my way of thinking.  It was so high school in many of the encounters; well, because they were going to high school.  It also had elements of danger and more danger threatening with some mystery thrown in. 

This book ended with some issues taken care of but with the door left wide open for more adventures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment