Wednesday, March 25, 2015

BOOK REVIEW- RASMUS and the VAGABOND



Book- Rasmus and the Vagabond- 
After running away from an orphanage, nine-year-old Rasmus finds the world a cold and unfriendly place until he meets an extraordinary tramp called "Paradise Oscar."  Together they meet more adventure than they ever imagined,  .  All Rasmus really wants is a family; a mother and father who will love him.. Astrid Lindgren, who gave the world Pippi Longstocking, sets this action-packed classic of children’s literature in the Swedish countryside before the age of automobiles. AMAZON LINK

Oh boy, this was another story that I wasn't sure I was going to like.  I found before too long, that wasn't the case.  It was such a sweet, charming story with more than one subtle character building points.  Rasmus is tired of being passed over for girls with curly hair.  He has two strikes against him when it comes to getting a family.  He's a boy.  AND he has straight hair.   So when he innocently gets in trouble several times in one day, he hightails it out of the orphanage.  He tries to be brave, but he is cold, hungry and just a tiny bit afraid (okay, maybe more afraid at times than he wants to admit.)  That is until he meeets, Paradise Oscar.   Oscar becomes a buddy over time, someone who helps him, while still helping Rasmus keep his dignity.   That part is so well done, that it made me smile every time it happened.   That and the fact that Rasmus so often found himself less acceptable because he had straight hair.  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't smiling because he felt somehow flawed but I smiled at the many times, in innocence he wove it into different conversations.  
The crooks in the story, give both Rasmus and Oscar a lot of grief but in the end, justice is served.  But the mystery of the chase is enjoyable.    There is a lazy day kind of wandering that Oscar and Rasmus did, that gave it a warm feeling but it also had adventure, and some challenges.  Just in case anyone thinks its a snoozer, its not. 
Oh and brace yourself, you might not see the end coming the way it does.  I like that a lot too!

The cover is a bit old world style and I didn't really care for it at first but I found it grew on me.  The same could also be said of the black and white sketches that are inside the book.  This kind of illustration is not normally a favorite with me.  Its probably because I've gotten spoiled with the more elaborate ones we see in most books.    BUT, not only did this style grow on me, it seemed to fit with the fresh, innocent simplicity of the story.  This story really surprised me.  I went from doubting I'd like it,  to loving it and wanting to put it into my Keeper Library.     


I received the book in this post compliments of Plough Publishing via Handlebar Marketing for purposes of this review, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment