Monday, June 18, 2012

Book Review: Faith and Other Flat Tires

Faith and Other Flat Tires: Searching for God on the Rough Road of Doubt
031032551x_dilleya_portrait.jpg

Andrea Palpant Dilley



A Christian woman's memoir of her struggles of faith, questioning how could God
allow all the suffering, death and evil in the world.    Why does He seem so distant, hard to find, why does His church seem so ineffective in helping  make a difference?    She shares stories of her being a missionary kid, her unique family and different churches and people who helped shape her faith and those who helped cause more struggle against her faith.

I both liked and disliked this book.  What an odd thing to have to say.  I found interesting the things she shared about her family, about part of her life as she was raised in Africa, and her coming back to America and feeling out of sync with this new life.   Unfortunately her references to "The Pilgrim's Progress" were wasted on me.  I have vaguely heard of it but that's all; so that wasn't helpful to my reading the book at all.  One thing I come away with is what her mom had raised her with: the acronym Go M.A.D.  meaning  Make a Difference.  Ironically the very thing her mother helped plant as a desire in her heart was also one of the things that she was searching so hard for and feeling like it just wasn't possible.  One of the things I didn't enjoy about the book was that it seemed to be endless with confusion, her going around and around in circles, but then again can't life be like that when we're searching?

I received this book FREE from  Zondervan.  This is my honest opinion of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment